Sunday, January 10, 2010

Icy Trees


We spent the week of Christmas in Virginia, which was covered with snow. On the morning of Christmas Eve, we drove through the Shenandoah Valley, and passed through an area where all the trees were covered with ice. It was just beautiful, and continued for about 30 miles up the highway. We think the area had had fog that turned to ice on the trees. The trees were just stunningly beautiful, especially with the sun playing off them.

I had that in mind when I made this card. It was for the SCS inspiration challenge for yesterday, and is also for the SmartWord challenge for this month, because this month's word is Ice. You can see the inspiration piece at this link.

I started with glossy paper. Created a mask with a small punched circle, and sponged around it with various inks to create the sun (or moon) and the sky. I then stamped over the inked background and used Winter Wonderland EP to create the trees. The tree is from Posh Impressons. I used one of my favorite sentiments, from Faerie Song, which seemed to go so well with this winter wonderland scene.

5 comments:

  1. Love the purple hues! So beautiful with such an icy feel. Thanks for participating in January's smART-Word Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely card! Glad you could join us int he smART-Word challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sandy,

    What a beautiful card! I love both the image and your artwork, and the pin pricking is somehing you don't see every day!

    I signed up to follow your blog, and would love for you to visit me at Create With Joy when you have a moment - you'd make a wonderful Kindred Spirit!

    Hugs
    Ramona :-)
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great card! You did an amazing job sponging the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Stencils and diecuts

  I've had the idea for this card for a while, but I finally got around to making it this week.  I started by stenciling the stone fence...

Popular Posts