Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Fault in our Stars

It's Virtual Stamp Night weekend at SCS, and one of the challenges was to do a card inspired by a book. Since I just finished a re-read of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which I wanted to do before going to see the movie, that book was fresh in my mind and a perfect choice for this challenge.
 Briefly, the book is about two teens who meet in a cancer support group. They are both fans of a reclusive author who lives in Amsterdam, and one of the teens uses his "Make-a-Wish" to get them a trip to Holland so they can beet the author. At that point, he gives the girl a bouquet of orange tulips as a hint.  So I made this card with a bouquet of orange tulips.
While the book may sound depressing, it's not -- it does have sad moments, but it has hilarious moments as well. So, the sentiment "Live as if everything is a miracle" seemed appropriate.
For this card, I used Feeling Sketchy Sketch 91, but I angled the strips to leave lots of room to draw attention to my lovely sentiment.
Any paper with color is a snippet; I chose two oranges plus an orange print; the orange plaid turned out to be a brilliant idea when I realized I could use a little contrasting blue to make the whole thing a little less "aggressively orange" (which is how I think Hazel, the heroine, describes that bought of tulips).

I have not seen the movie yet -- if you have, what did you think of it?

I would like to enter the card in these challenges:

Pixie's Snippet Playground #128 -- use snippets
Feeling Sketchy #91 -- sketch
Word Art Wednesday #135  -- anything goes
Papertake Weekly -- anything goes
Loves Rubberstamps Challenge 106 -- anything goes
Sister Act  #60 -- anything goes

9 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. Great job on it...great coloring and paper selections.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Feeling Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card. Great layout, colours and pretty image. Thanks for playing along at Loves Rubberstamps.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty card..love the story behind it too, thanks for sharing at LOves Rubberstamps,
    Hugs Blankina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy

    Good to see you playing again in the Playground and I do love your card. Those tulips are fabulous and the oranges you used for the colouring and backing look gorgeous.

    hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty image and the design is lovely too!

    The book sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely take on our Feeling Sketchy sketch- thanks for playing along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous card Sandy - beautifully coloured. I love how you have made it, following your book reading. I must also read the book before seeing the movie.
    Thank you for playing along with us at Feeling Sketchy.
    Debi-DT Co-ordinator@FS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card. Thank you for joining the challenge at Feeling Sketchy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card thanks for joining in. ~ Michelle FS DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Stencils and diecuts

  I've had the idea for this card for a while, but I finally got around to making it this week.  I started by stenciling the stone fence...

Popular Posts